2017 Pennsylvania Crash Statistics
In our state, driving can be dangerous depending on the time of year as well as the severity of the weather. Even with snow, ice, rain, and fog, our drivers are affected by different hazards and distractions both inside and outside of their vehicle. There’s a lot of vehicles on our roads too. Did you know Pennsylvania has over 120,000 miles of roads and highways? And on those roads and highways, there were approximately 101.1 billion vehicle-miles driven in 2017. Here are some of our top 2017 crash statistics from PENNDOT.gov:
- Every day, 351 reportable traffic crashes occur, and 221 people were injured in said crashes. That averages to about 9 injuries per hour.
- Of the 12,805,537 people residing in Pennsylvania, 1 out of every 44 was involved in a car crash.
- The total number of car crashes decreased by 1% from 2016 to 2017.
- “In 2017, the economic loss due to traffic crashes was $1,414 to every man, woman, and child in Pennsylvania.”
- Most crashes (29%) occurred when a vehicle hit a fixed object; light post, mailbox, tree, guide rail, etc. These types of crashes also incurred the most fatalities, at 35%.
- 19.8% of crashes were negatively affected or caused by weather and road surface conditions.
- Our turnpike has the lowest number of reported crashes, fatal car accidents, and injuries. Even though the turnpike has the lowest amount of maintained road – the percentages of crashes and injuries to miles of maintained road are both lower than state highways and local roads.
If you were injured or involved in a crash, we want to help. Please contact Marcus & Mack today to speak to a skilled car accident lawyer. We’re an experienced legal team with a focus on obtaining maximum recovery for our clients.